How to Block Websites
Blocking websites is the most requested feature of parental control software. That is the only way to protect your children from inappropriate content. In the office, this feature will help you to increase the productivity of employees by restricting access to social networks (Facebook, Twitter) and entertainment content (YouTube, online games). This article will show you how to block websites in three different ways. Two of them are free but have a number of shortcomings and can be easily bypassed. We will show you how to how to block websites using special software.
How to Block Websites Using Special Software
- Download and install HT Work Focus or HT Parental Controls.
Download HT Work Focus for business use
Download HT Parental Controls for home use
- Click the Block Websites button.
- Click the Add button.
- Type the website address or keyword you want to block, for example, twitter in the window which appears.
HT Work Focus is easy to use and effective computer monitoring software that lets you restrict user activity and internet usage.
The program allows you to:
- Block websites in all these major browsers—Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Brave.
- Block websites by address and keywords.
- Block websites by categories - Adult content, Porn, Gambling, Chats, Violence, Alcohol, Drugs, etc.
- Block specified applications, for example, games, instant messengers.
- Monitor computer activities such as visited websites, applications, screenshots.
HT Work Focus and Parental Controls are designed to block inappropriate content quickly and reliably. The software has multilevel protection from being bypassed and allows blocking websites in all common browsers.
It will help you accomplish this task the best way and provides you many other useful features to recognize threats and stop them.
How to Block Websites on Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools.
- Click Internet Options.
- Click on the Content tab.
- Click the Enable button.
- Click on the Approved Sites tab.
- Type the website address you want to block, for example, youtube.com.
- Click Never and then OK.
- Type and confirm your new password in the window which appears.
- Click on the General tab and make sure to select Users can see websites that have no ratings.
- Click OK.
How to Block Websites using the Hosts File
Note! Make a backup of the hosts file and put it somewhere safe, in case you make a mistake.
- Open the hosts file by using Notepad or another plain text editor.
- Find the line 127.0.0.1 localhost.
- To block, for example, YouTube, add this text under 127.0.0.1 localhost:
- Save and close the Hosts file.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
- Try to open facebook.com into a browser.
How to Block Websites in Spite of Proxy Servers
When you block websites by using the Hosts file or Internet Explorer website blocking feature, you should be aware that users can easily bypass your restrictions. First, they can use a proxy server. Second, they can access the websites using the https protocol, such https://facebook.com. Finally, these methods do not work in one of the most popular web browsers - Google Chrome. So how to block websites reliably in all browsers and be confident that users cannot access them?