How to Block Programs
There are many situations when people need to block specific programs. Worried parents can want to restrict games, messengers, or the time spent on browsers—employers who want to block non-work-related apps. System administrators may want to block software that may harm the computer. Firewalls only block programs from accessing the Internet but cannot block them from being launched. To block a program, you need to use other methods.
How to Block Programs with Application Blocking Software
The best way to quickly and easily block programs is to use special application blockers such as HT Work Focus for business or HT Parental Controls for home. They let you block, limit, or even create a schedule for any application with a few clicks.
- Download and install the software.
Download HT Work Focus for business use
Download HT Parental Controls for home use
- Go to Application Blocking.
- Click Add App and add programs you want to block or limit the time spent on them.
- Choose Block or Limit. Configure the time limiting options for limited apps.
There is an additional way that allows you to block applications even more easily:
- Run the application you want to block.
- Go to Reports > Applications.
- Select the application on the list and click the Block App or Limit App button.
Block games, messengers, payers, torrents, and any other applications
Disable access to system programs
Block Task Manager, Registry Editor, System Configuration Utility, etc.
Block social networks
Block YouTube, Facebook in all those popular browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc.
Filter websites by categories
Block Porn, Gambling, Drugs, Shopping, Chats, etc.
Block websites by URLs and keywords
Filter your search and block websites in different ways
Record computer activities
Get reports of applications and websites
How to Block Programs with Windows Options
- Press Windows key and R button together.
- Type gpedit.msc in the window which appears, and click OK.
- Expand User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System on the left side of the window.
- Double click Don’t run specified Windows applications on the right side.
- Select the Enabled radio button and then click the Show button.
- Type in the name of the executable file of the program you want to block.
- Enter all applications you want to prevent from running.
- Save changes and close the windows.
Blocking apps in Windows 11, 10, and 8 does not require another software but it has a serious disadvantage—it can be easily bypassed.
Block programs with our blocking software—HT Work Focus or HT Parental Controls. Block, limit, or even create a schedule for any application in a reliable and easy way—try a 14-day free trial to test all the benefits!