How to Block Programs
You may have apps on your computer which you don't want run. So how to block a program from running. There are many situations when people need to block certain applications. Worried parents who may want to restrict violent games, unsafe chats and torrents. Employers who may want to block non-work-related programs. System administrators may want to block software that may harm the computer.
Firewalls only block programs from accessing the Internet but cannot stop programs from being launched. To block a program, you need to use other methods. Here are two ways of blocking unwanted applications.
How to Block Programs with Application Blocking Software
The best way to easily block programs from being launched or from running automatically is to use special application blockers such as HT Work Focus for business or HT Parental Controls for home, that let you block any application more effectively and have many other features to control computer use.
- Download and install the software.
Download HT Work Focus
Download HT Parental Controls
- Click the Application Blocking button.
- Click the Add Application button.
- Select the program you want to block on the list which appears or click Browse and select its executable file installed on the computer if you cannot find the app on the listed.
There is an additional way that allows you to block applications even more easily:
- Run the application you want to block.
- Go to Applications logs.
- Select the application on the list and click the Block app button.
Block specified programs
Block games, instant messengers, payers, torrents and any other applications
Disable access to system programs
Block Task Manager, Registry Editor, System Configuration Utility, etc.
Block social networks
Block Twitter, Facebook in all those popular browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc.
Filter websites by categories
Block Porn, Gambling, Drugs, Shopping, Chats, etc.
Block websites by URLs and keywords
Filter your search and block websites in different ways
Record computer activities
Monitor applications, websites, system activity, screenshots
How to Block Programs with Windows Options
- Press Windows key and R button together.
- Type gpedit.msc in the window which appears and click OK.
- Expand User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System on the left side of the window.
- Double click Don't run specified Windows applications on the right side.
- Select the Enabled radio button and then click the Show button.
- Type in the name of the executable file of the program you want to block.
- Enter all applications you want to prevent from running.
- Save changes and close the windows.
Blocking apps in Windows 7, 8 and 10 does not require another software but it has disadvantages. It can be easily bypassed, because there is no ability to set up a password on your settings. Other users can do the same and unblock the banned programs. Sometimes it is not always easy to find the program executable file installed on your computer.