How to Block All Websites Except Those Whitelisted
Website blocking is the most necessary and important function for both parental control and productivity management software. There are two ways blocking unwanted content—to block all websites except those trusted with a whitelist or to block specific sites with a blacklist.
Whitelist allows you to automatically block all websites that are not on your list of allowed sites. That requires preparation at the beginning to prepare the whitelist, but guarantees maximum protection and reduces your risks to a minimum. Whitelist mode is ideal for children under 10-11 years.
Blacklist, on the contrary, blocks websites specified on the list and allows all others. This way of filtering content is more suitable for older children, whose parents want to protect their children without giving them the feeling that they are over-controlled.
How to Block All Websites Except a Few
Let us show you how to block all websites except a few sites by using HT Parental Controls for home and HT Work Focus for business:
- Click the Add button under the Whitelist.
- Enter a website address or a keyword you want to allow. For example wikipedia.org or wikipedia.
- Enter all the websites you want to allow.
- Select the Allow only whitelisted websites checkbox.
The most reliable way is to open a website in your browser and copy-paste its URL to the program. Do not include in your list of sites additional characters. Avoid slashes, www and other symbols that the real website URL does not contain.
For example, to allow Gmail, you need to add to the list mail.google.com and accounts.google.com to log in, but not gmail.com. Since gmail.com is not a real URL for this site.
Import a List to the Program
Importing/exporting allows you to transfer your lists to a new computer / OS or configure the software on a few commuters more easily.
- Right-click on the Allowed Websites filed and select Import List..
- Choose your file with websites in a txt or csv format.
- Click Apply.
Now the software will block all websites and allow only the websites specified on the Whitelist.
You can use the Allowed Websites list in two different modes depending on the Only see websites on the allowed list check box.
If the check box is selected, Allowed Websites works as the whitelist to block all websites except a few sites.
If the check box is not selected, the list works as a list of extensions to allow websites that for some reasons are blocked. For example, you can block all shopping sites, and allow ebay.com as an exception. Learn more
HT Work Focus and HT Parental Controls allow switching between Whitelist and Blacklist modes, so you can either block all websites except a few or block only certain websites. It is compatible with all versions of Windows and has several levels of protection. Password protection also is available.
Our software provides you with a range of possible ways of controlling your computer:
- Block all websites except whitelisted in those browsers: Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, etc.
- Block access to unwanted websites and other internet services
- Block access to unwanted games and applications
- Record computer activities - visited websites, launched programs, computer time, etc.
- Limit time on certain websites
Test the program yourself to be sure that our Whitelist perfectly handles the task and that your users cannot bypass it. Please test all program features with 15-day free trial versions.