How to Block Facebook
Want to block Facebook and other sites, like Pinterest or YouTube, on your computer to avoid those distractions for you, your team at work, or your ten-year-old. Read this article to find out how to block Facebook easily and simply in 3 different ways suitable for all versions of Windows versions from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
How to Block Facebook with Blocking Software
The best way to block the Facebook website with no way to override your limits is to use special software such as HT Employee Monitor for business or HT Parental Controls for home. The software makes it easy to block any websites with a few clicks has many other useful features. It supports all popular browsers and all Windows versions.
How to Configure Time Limits for Facebook
Best of all that you can block Facebook at work time and allow it at launch / post-workday or after homework will be finished.
- Click Facebook to select it and choose Limit.
- Set up the Schedule or specify the maximum time allowed per day.
Besides blocking Facebook on the computer, HT Employee Monitor and HT Parental Controls have many other options. Our software combines monitoring and blocking features, and lets restrict any computer user activity
Block Facebook and Other Sites
Block any website in these browsers: Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Opera
Block unwanted websites in up to 10 categories - Adult Content, Gambling, Violence, Drugs, etc.
Restrict Access to Any Applications
Block games, instant messengers, browsers, and so on
Monitor Computer Activities
Monitor visited websites, launched programs, computer time, etc.
Block inappropriate keywords from search and results
Configure the filters and view logs remotely across the network
How to Block Facebook with a Whitelist
One more way to block Facebook is to use a Whitelist. With the Whitelist, you block all websites except those you allow for work or study. For example, Wikipedia, the school website, e-libraries, etc. Blocking with the whitelist is the most strict, but the most effective and productive at the same time.
- Go to Website Blocking.
- Under the Whitelist, click Add and enter the URL of the site you want to allow.
- Add all websites you want to allow to the Whitelist.
- Select the Allow only whitelisted websites checkbox.
How to Block Facebook Using the Hosts File
The host file is a Windows service file that is also used by some browsers. You can add some instructions to the file to block certain websites on your computer.
- Open the hosts file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with Notepad or another plain text editor.
- Copy this:
# block facebook
- Paste the text into the Hosts file after 127.0.0.1 localhost.
- Save and close the Hosts file.
- Since you cannot save the file without an extension, save it as your text editor suggests. Then open the folder with your Hosts file, select it and press F2 to delete its extension while renaming.
- Replace the existing Hosts file with yours.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
- When you block Facebook with the Hosts file, users can access Facebook through anonymizers. He/she can visit an anonymizer, enter the needed URL, and access the forbidden website on its behalf. The problem is that you can block all thousands of anonymizers.
- Pay attention that your user can launch another browser that does not use the Host file or change the hosts file.
- This method may not work correctly on your computer.
So how to block Facebook reliably in all top browsers independently of Windows version and make it impossible to unblock the website. Use HT Employee Monitor for business and HT Parental Controls for home. Get a 14-day free trial and test all the benefits of our software.